Friday, September 18, 2009

Wonderland Trail Day 10: Longmire to Maple Creek

Aug 18
Mileage: 11.8 miles
Longmire: 2800 ft
Maple Creek: 2815

I woke up at 0600 again and took a long hot shower as I wouldn't have one for another 3-4 days, so I took advantage of it.  I wanted to be in the dinning room about the time they opened since service is slow.  I got downstairs about 0715 and had breakfast.  Back in the room, finished packing and got ready to leave.  Believe it or not, I did think about asking the rangers if any of the them were heading over to White River as I wasn't quite sure I still wanted to walk any further.

I left the NPI at 0900 in shorts as the day was supposed to be warm and this was a big swing of the pendulum here, rain my first 8 days and now leaving in shorts and its warm outside.  I was moving along the trail, and popped out by Cougar Rock campground pretty fast.  There are places on the trail that the signs really need to be re-aligned with the actual trail and this would be one of those spots because the trail sign looks to be saying continue on straight ahead when it really means to say 'take a right'.  After looking for the trail, I looked at the map to see if Carter Falls was along the way, and it is, so off to the right I went and crossed the Nisqually River.  I talked with a couple there and they took my picture with the mountain!




Nisqually River





Me on the Nisqually with
Rainier in the background



From that point on, guess what?  That's right, it was all uphill! Carter Falls were cool to see however the tree cover does just that, cover, so snapped a few pictures and it was on to Madcap Falls.  I made good time to the Paradise River camp and then it was on to Narda Falls.  I talked to a few people on the trail and kept walking.  I was supposed to meet a friend at Nards Falls but didn't hear from her, so pretty much knew she wasn't going to show.  She wanted to hike to Maple Creek and spent the night out there and then hike back.  I made it through the forest to Narda Falls, got a few pictures and waited about 20 minutes to see if she would show and  I left there about 1220 solo.  Heading uphill some more and I  have to say its really weird hiking this part of the trail as you can hear the cars and lots of day hikers.



Madcap Falls





Bridge being rebuilt; temp bridge in





Narda Falls



I arrived at Reflection Lake and took a break  to enjoy the beauty of the day and scenery.  The pack was heavy from a re-supply so a break felt good after the uphill climb.  The lake was a bit choppy but I managed to find a spot  to get a partial reflection off the lake for a picture.  The fish were jumping out of the water too.  I put the pack back on and headed towards Louise Lake and at this point of the trail you have to walk along the road, which I didn't like much.  Finding the trail again,  I started heading downhill and thought about stopping at the lake, but kept going as it had to be like 90F.  I had heard this part of the trail being very bushy and that the trail crews have a hard time keeping the trail up.  I crossed the road for the final time and then it was all downhill to the Stevens Canyon River.  I just hiked along through the plants, grasses and forests and kept moving eventually coming out down by the river and having to walk over a very rocky trail. There was a trail detour right before camp, but it didn't deviate too far.  I crossed Maple Creek by the falls and found the camp arriving at 1530.  There were 2 groups here already in camp having come in from Indian Bar.


Reflection Lake





Louise Lake



Rainier from Stevens Canyon




 I took site #3 really wanted #4 but the sun was hot and that spot is wide open, so took #3.  I got the tent set up minus the rainfly.  I haven't set up my tent without the rain since day 2!   I have to say, I like it better that way.  The black flies were bad and at night the mosquitoes came out.  I grabbed the water filter, bladder and the bottle and headed for the stream to cool off and rehydrate.  I had run out of water about 1.5 miles out of camp and  I could have stopped but wanted to get to camp more.  There must have been something going on with the filter and it me a while to get the filter going.  It was nice to relax in a shaded cool spot.  I cleaned up as well when one of the boys from one of the groups came down.  We talked a bit and I wanted info about tomorrow since it looked to be all uphill.  He told me that Indian Bar was awesome and that I would like it.  Then I remembered that I had run into his group somewhere on the west side.  I might add here that this camp had the nastiest toilet on the trail!


Stevens Canyon Creek



Maple Creek Falls


Back at the site, made dinner eating only one meal as it was a meal for two.  I got things ready for tomorrow and just hung out in the tent to get away from the flies.  Around 1900, a few helicopters were flying to the south and west so I was wondering what was going on, maybe a search and rescue or something.  They finally quit flying overhead and it was quiet again.

It was almost too hot to sleep, but tried anyway and decided that on the last day I was going to hike out and not stay at Summerland.  I was okay with that decision knowing it was like 14 miles but I wanted to be done.  I'll say this part of the trail with the exception of Reflection Lake was pretty boring, hence the not too exciting blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment