Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wonderland Trail: Day 1 - White River Campground to Granite Creek

Aug 9
Mileage: 7.5 miles
White River Campground: 4232 ft
Granite Creek: 5765 ft

Here is a link to a map to follow along.  Also here is a link the trail elevation profile.

I woke up later than I wanted after a restless night of sleep and had some apprehension about doing this hike and going solo. Checked the NWS web site for the weather and looks like rain Mon - Wed, hope not. Left home at 0745 and headed to Enumclaw for breakfast. My trainer told me about this place called The Kettle. Holy smokes! I ordered a 1/2 order of the Buckley scramble and could have fed a family of four on it! It was huge and way too much food, but the place has good food and prices plus a friendly wait staff. As I left the restaurant, it started to rain.

Got to the White River Entrance and picked up my permit and drove up to the campground and found parking. I got one of the few spots left and was grateful for that. Got my gear together and got ready to go. I was not happy with my pack weight being around 40 lbs as I was hoping for around 30lbs, but it was time to get going.

Found the trail-head after sorting out some confusing trail signs and headed uphill for 2.5 miles. I had a woman at a car camp site take my picture before I left. Ahh...that first day excitement...
ItalicMe at the historic ranger hut and trail head


Officially started my adventure at 1135 and with the trail being in great condition and about 30 minutes into my hike ran into a thru-hike couple and talked with them to get some info about the trail and camps. They did tell me that there was a detour at the Carbon River CG so I thanked them for the info and wondered why the ranger didn't mention that.

Headed up the trail to Sunrise
Cool little waterfall through a tree


I came to a field with wild flowers and they were everywhere.

Finally making it to the trail junction to Shadow Lake where I would have lunch. I met a group of women out for a day hike and talked with them on my way to the lake.



Field of wild flowers at Sunrise Park



Shadow Lake


Deer with 2 fawns on way to Frozen Lake


After a lunch break at Shadow Lake some misty fog rolled in and upon reaching Frozen Lake it turned into rain. Stopped to put on the rain gear and pack cover. Climbed up to Skyscraper Mountain and was ruled out a scramble up since it was still raining and I would get no views.

Finally started heading down hill to Granite Creek and it stopped raining. I made it to camp a bit wet and with a few blisters. Set up the tent, ate dinner and got cleaned up. Met my camp-mates who were locals and heading to Carbon River the next day. Not a bad first day and went to sleep hoping the weather would hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment